We are often asked about our impact and what difference we can make to people with sight loss.
Sight Life is dedicated to helping blind and partially sighted people enjoy active, fulfilling lives. We have been making an impact for over 150 years. It’s both our passion and our mission – to help people with sight loss live the lives that they want to live. We have supported thousands of people, whether they have just lost their sight, had sight loss for some time, or were born with a sight condition.
We recently carried out an evaluation exercise to find out what our service users thought of us. The outcomes told us that:
- 77 per cent better understood their sight condition and how to manage it or get the treatment available
- 100 per cent felt listened to, understood and supported by us and knew where to go in future when needing support
- 25 per cent needed less support from their local authority and 14 per cent from their health board since getting support from us
- 83 per cent felt better equipped to carry out any day-to-day tasks, such as moving around the house safely, buying and making food, shopping or managing money
- 100 per cent were using products or technology designed to make life easier or more enjoyable
- 89 per cent said they were doing more things outside of the home, such as visiting friends, shopping and taking part in social or leisure activities
- 89 per cent felt less isolated and lonely
- 80 per cent felt more independent
- 71 per cent were more active and healthy
- 77 per cent had more confidence as a result of receiving support from us
- 89 per cent felt their life was more enjoyable and fulfilling
- 100 per cent felt they had benefited from our service
But don’t take our word for it. Let our service users tell you (in their own words) what they think of us:
“When you left my house I cried out of relief and happiness. I was given so much hope and realised that I’m not on my own anymore.”
“You have listened to me more in 10 minutes than I’ve felt listened to in the last 10 years.”
“I have not long started my computer training. It’s brilliant and has truly enriched my life. I am learning a lot – I can now e-mail and have relations in Sweden and Norway that I will be able to contact regularly.”
“I am so glad to have my radio. It’s always on in the background and it’s like having someone in the house. I also listen to my talking books – I didn’t know I was entitled to it until Cardiff Institute for the Blind visited me.”
“I love coming to computer training – I not only get to see the friends that I have made but I have learnt to email. My grandchildren think it’s great. They live in Australia and it’s the only way I can keep in touch.”
“I was diagnosed nine months ago with sight loss and I have autism. This is the first time I have had help and it’s been so good for me. It has made such a difference to my life, thank you.”
To find out more about the difference we can make to people’s lives, please click here.